Thursday, May 7, 2009

my college reunion

No, they didn't plan anything. There was no crazy huge party with lots of drunk people in dresses. There were no black and gold balloons. Just four women ten years later remembering a lot of good times together.

Ten years ago last December I graduated from college. Three and a half years before that, I started the incredible journey. Those are days to remember. It's funny because when I think back to my college days it always makes me smile. I think about these friends
and all of the fun things we did together, it just makes me happy. When I look at my journals, though, it turns out that it was just life with it's ups and downs and issues. It makes me happy to think that what I took away was the good from all of these experiences.

Like dressing up as Janis Joplin for a theatre class lip sync or as Barbie and the Rockers for a crazy Croatian Halloween party in Chicago












Or living in the scariest dorm on the planet, Meredith Hall, Home. Seriously, though, how many people can say they evacuated their dormitory for both a fire and a bomb threat in the same semester? Or had a legitimately psychologically disturbed person living next door to them that always thought someone was trying to kill her? Or didn't have air conditioning in 110 degree humid Indiana heat? Or had a roommate that lived on BET? Or literally shared the space of a closet with another human being and all their stuff? We really laughed a lot!
Then
Now

It seriously hasn't changed AT ALL!!

Or how about eating out at our favorite restaurant every time someone had a birthday, which was pretty much the only time we subsisted on anything but packaged noodles and cereal? Don Pablos was the place. It was pretty much the only restaurant in town. We went back and I have to say the food wasn't everything I remembered it to be, but it was sure a great time.
We wandered all over campus and drove around to our favorite places, including the houses and apartments where we spent so much time.











We caught up on what has happened in everybody's lives since the weddings and graduations
And mostly we just enjoyed the memories of a time that has been burned in our memories as wonderful and transformative and fun. I am so grateful for these people that helped me figure out who I was and made me feel loved and interesting and important.

4 comments:

Bek said...

i am so glad you blogged.

yay for you having this time with your friends.

it's nice to miss what we used to have and equally nice to know we wouldn't want to go back to it!

love you. hope things are good.

Greg and Tammy said...

I was JUST thinking about you and this trip this morning... on my way home from the gym. I'm so glad you blogged about it with pictures and I really glad that you had such a wonderful time (then and now).

BBB said...

I second Bek on the glad you blogged comment.

I remember you telling me some great stories about your wacko neighbor. How fun that you planned a college reunion trip. I'm putting it on my list of things to do.

Love You.

kaheels said...

Oh Court, it just sounds like so much fun. I remember when you were in college, I thought it seemed like the coolest thing ever. Even back then you had a pretty positive spin on things. Plus, living in that dorm gave you some pretty awesome stories. (Remember how much Owen Allen loved the Bridget story about the bike chain?) I'm glad you had so much fun.