Sunday, August 24, 2008

summer concerts

So one thing that I'd really rather not live without is live music. I definitely don't get enough of it in my life, but I did get to go to two great concerts this summer. The first, I am NOT ashamed to admit, was the American Idol concert. If you didn't watch the show this year, you missed out on some incredible talent. This year's concert featured each of the top ten singers doing at least 3 songs. They were all terrific, with the exception of Ramiele, who wasn't that great, but they were all also really adorable. David Archuleta was the fan favorite here in SLC since he's from here, so it was a little ridiculous how everyone reacted to him, but he really is incredible. Chikeze started off the show with a shoutout to all us folks in Salt Lake, or as they like to call it, "Archietown," which got a great reaction, but the moment of the night went to Michael Johns, the awesome Aussie who seriously rocked Queen, who after his first number said he was hot and took off his jacket to reveal an "I voted for David Archuleta" t-shirt. Classic. Personally, my favorite idol was David Cook, who beat Archuleta in the final, but the teenaged girl I went with is a major Archie fan, so we showed our colors and had a blast!


The second concert was Martina McBride, which I went to see with Melanie. Martina is seriously one of the best voices I have ever heard in real life. She is incredible. She sang all of my favorite songs, and we had a fabulous time, singing along, consuming extremely overpriced concessions, and watching the middle-aged couple across the lawn grope each other.



Anyway, good times this summer! I'm watching for the next great concert. If anyone needs someone to go with, let me know!

2 comments:

satomblablabla said...

love the martina photo. she's a gem.
sheryl crow and james blunt are tonight aren't they? i was invited to go and aside from the lack of funds, I didn't have the heart to tell the person that I'm not a fan of sheryl crow all that much, nor am I of james blunt. prolly a fun concert though. give me some david gray or lauryn hill please!

Greg and Tammy said...

So a David Cook t-shirt, huh? No idea you were THAT big of a fan. I bet it was a good show though. Ramielle is dumb and should have not made the "concert group". I forgot how much she bugged me until you mentioned her again. BLAH. Oh my goodness, that bday card story was CRAZY. I can't believe someone would be that nice. Just when I become super calloused about society something like that happens. Cool story.